Long-time Wild Ones member and author, Dave Tylka is teaching a series of classes on nature and landscaping with native plants in three ways. The first method is through the Missouri Botanical Garden:
- Tues. Mar. 15, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. – Grow a Woodland Native Wildflower Garden in the City
- Tues. April 19, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. – Monarchs and Milkweed
Cost per class is $28 for members, $34 for non-members.
Registration is open now.
The second method is through some short Continuing Education classes at Meramec Community College:
- Tues. March 22, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Monarchs and Milkweed
- Fri. April 1, 9:00 a.m. – noon. An Introduction to Native Landscaping
- Wed. April 6, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Identification and Ecology of Common Missouri Wildflowers
- Fri. April 8, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Native Landscaping with Shade-Adapted Plants
- Wed. April 13, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Native Landscaping with Sun-Adapted Perennials
- Fri. April 15, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Identification and Natural History of Common Missouri Insects
- Wed. April 20, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Native Landscaping for Bees, Butterflies, and Other Pollinators
- Fri. April 22, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Ways to Attract Songbirds and Hummingbirds through Native Landscaping
- Wed., April 27, 9:00 a.m. – noon. Native Landscaping with Shrubs
For more information, visit the St. Louis Community College website.
Note: These classes qualify for the Master Naturalist Certification Program.
Cost: $25 ($12.50 for adults 60+) People 65 and older may apply for a Senior Citizen Scholarship and register for up to five classes per semester for $5 each.
Registration is open now: Call (314) 984-7777
The third method is through an 8-week Academic Credit Course at Meramec Community College, a 3-semester hour course.
Thursdays, March 24 – May 12, 5:00 – 6:50 p.m. and four Saturday field trips: 4/02, 4/16, 4/30, and 5/07, Native Landscaping for Wildlife and People (BIO:156)
Cost: $309 (District Tuition) Senior discounts of 50% or more are available to people who want to audit the course (no exams)
Registration is open now: Visit the St. Louis Community College website or call (314) 984-7601.